Thursday, February 10, 2011

J'aime ma maman

I had recently come across a posting on Gwyneth Paltrow's blog GOOP about her first trip to Paris. She went on the trip with her father and when they were flying back home he told her, “I wanted you to see Paris for the first time with a man who would always love you, no matter what.” It was such a sweet sentiment and I thought back to my first trip to Paris where I went with my wonderful mother. Paris is the city of love and I am glad that I got to share it with someone I care for deeply and whom I will love forever. 


At the gardens of Versailles
        

Mom listening to the audio tour of the Hall of Mirror inVersailles

I also fell in love with the architecture of Paris. There are so many great places to see and three days was not nearly enough to truly appreciate all the facets of the great city.

Basilica of Sacré-Cœur
Sacré-Cœur is such a young building, only a mere 91 years old! It is such a brillant node in the city, located in Montmartre, marking the highest point in the city. The day I went it was foggy so the views of Paris were not so great. I especially love its domes-a perfect hybrid between Byzantine and Islamic prototypes.


The Metropolitain in Paris has the most fantastical entrances I have ever seen. Art Nouveau is one of my favorite styles of architecture and these stations do not disappoint! They put NYC's subway to shame.

Louvre
Although many people don't like I. M. Pei's pyramid at the Louvre, I absolutely love it. It makes for a fabulously grand entrance into the museum.

Eiffel Tower
Thankfully, the night we went there was a light show and it was truly spectacular. 

Pompidou
I had written a report on the Pompidou in 8th grade for French class so I thought I should pay it a visit.

Hotel le Marquis
Our hotel was a nice boutique style hotel, nothing special. It did have a great location and we could see the Eiffel Tower from our window. The facade, with the ironwork and balconies, looks so chic. I love the facading of Parisian apartments. 


The trip I took with my mom is something I will always cherish. 





1 comment: